Friday, April 18, 2008

I know you're reading this blog, I can hear you breathing

My friend Eddie ran this picture of some very short people in his Chicken Fat blog. By coincidence just a few days before I had found a similar picture in an antique store. In the picture below the woman is wearing flat shoes so she doesn't appear taller than the man.

Remember elevator shoes? "Now you can be taller than her!" They put 2" lifts in the heels. They still make those shoes because guys still need to be taller than her.

Or maybe not. There's a Lowe's ad on TV right now, showing a couple entering the garden section of a Lowe's store, and the woman is half a head taller than the guy. The reason I can remember the ad and the store is because it's so jarringly noticeable. I read once that men are usually 4" taller than the women they're with. So what's wrong with shorter guys and taller women, anyway? If a woman can stand to look down on my bald spot, I can stand looking up her nostrils. Seriously, where did this start? Why is the guy supposed to be taller? OK, that's a rhetorical question. I'll never have an answer for that.

*******

This is my 300th Paranoia Strikes Deep blog, by yet another coincidence posted exactly two years to the day of my first blog. My purpose when starting this blog was to air out my personal paranoia, which I've done. I was raised by a paranoid mother, have a paranoid boss, am surrounded by paranoid coworkers, and I'm a damn paranoid, hence the name of my blog. I believe that paranoia is a survival mechanism, developed through evolution so we'll watch our backs. Some of us have a more heightened sense of it. For instance, I'd have more than 300 postings if I hadn't gotten paranoid my boss would see some of my more personal anti-boss postings, so I deleted them. They prove my point.

I knew my mother was paranoid when I was 18, came home and found her screaming into the telephone, "I know you're there! I can hear you breathing!" When I took the phone from her all I heard was a dial tone. At the time she was worried about one of my dad's business competitors tapping our phones. Why? Paranoia knows no why…"They" are just out to get us is all.

No comments: