Monday, March 26, 2007

The Geezer Discount

On Saturday I visited my local Great Clips and one of the attractive young women gave me a haircut. I don't think a guy has touched my head in about 15 years or so, not since I start going to Great Clips. I did the usual chitchat, just enough mouth movement to make the girl feel like I was paying attention. Some people have the need to talk in a barber chair, but I don't really care.

When I was done I had my checkbook ready. "Is that $12.00?" I asked. "No," she said. "You have the senior discount, so it's $10.00."

I was more or less stunned. What, the senior discount? Me? But I didn't say anything, just wrote the check for $10.00. Hey, $2.00 is $2.00.

A senior discount at Great Clips means 60 years old. When I was in my mid-50s I shopped at a store where 55 was the age for a senior discount. I'd ask for it. My wife wouldn't do it, so I took the purchases to the register. Like the Great Clips discount, saving money is more important than my pride. One day I went to the cash register and said, "I'd like the senior discount, please." The checker said, "Sorry, we had to discontinue that policy."

Like Great Clips, I felt stunned. She continued. "There are getting to be so many old geezers out there that my boss thought we were losing money." What, geezer? Me?

Once again I would like to reiterate to those younger than me: It is not the fault of my generation that baby boomers are everywhere, and that we are all getting to be seniors, of retirement age. It was our parents' fault, see…our dads came home from World War II and they were all really horny. Within a year of the end of the war the babies started to arrive, and we haven't stopped booming yet.

My white beard makes me look older than I am.
And watch that "old geezer" talk, willya? I can call myself an old geezer, but you can't say it to me.

Ciao for now.

No comments: