Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Super Tuesday


It's Super Tuesday, folks. Time to get out, get off our lazy carcasses and start making a difference.

I don't have to, since I've already voted. Sally and I are on the permanent absentee ballot voting list. In 2004 we requested absentee ballots since we were going to be out of town on election day. We got a letter from the county clerk asking if we wanted to make that situation permanent and we said, sure, why not? Anytime I can sit in my kitchen and mark an X on a ballot and not have to go out to a polling place is OK with me.

I've heard all the talk about needed change, about taking new directions in America. I'm a natural-born cynic; if Democrats win they're in for a tough time, and if Republicans win then vice versa. I don't operate under any illusions that there will be much real change in our country. The majority of people might want change, but they want it to benefit them, and that's understandable. But it means different things to different people and groups.

The whole thing with the war seems insurmountable but it's not. I'm concerned that whoever gets in will inherit the worst bloody mess since Vietnam. Remember Nixon's promise in '68 to get us out of Vietnam? Remember it took him five years to do it? If Americans really want to get out then we'll get out. How much worse can it make us look in the eyes of the world than we already look? Then, as a nation we must repeat the mantra: We will not invade other countries. We will not invade other countries. We will not invade…

Remember, if there is voting in your area, get your finger off the mouse and go vote.

No comments: