Sunday, February 28, 2010

Me and Donovan, gettin' high and gettin' by

I've put on my love beads, my sandals, my tie-dye shirt and my peace sign medallion. I've jumped into the Wayback Machine and I'm in 1968. I stand at the corner of Haight and Ashbury amongst the flower children, fire up a joint, and mellow right into the sounds coming from all around me.

Who's that singing on the box? Donovan? Right on, bro...Donovan, he's hip, he's cool...he sings of love and harmony. Yeah, man, just let me stand here for a while and soak it all in, all of the sounds,and all of the Colours around me...



Oops. I've stood here too long (man, that's powerful shit I'm smokin' and it makes the clocks run funny, you dig, man?) Anyway, there's a breeze coming up from the bay. It's cool...no, not that kind of cool, I mean really cool, as in chilly. You can't do anything about it, because you can't stop it, and you can't Catch the Wind...



One thing about being around groovy people...oops, hey is that Jerry Garcia walking by with his guitar? Hey, Jer, are you ridin' that train, high on cocaine? Over there, it's R. Crumb selling Zap Comix number 1! Robert, you my main man! You a cartoonin' Superman! A sunshine Superman...



Ah, lookie that beautiful girl over there. Long, dark hair falling down her back, her hip huggers just barely covering her charms. Man, I'd like her to be my ol' lady. What's her name, some funny hippie name? Jennifer...what? Did you say Jennifer Juniper? Very, very cool...





Oooooo, everything I've smoked and ingested today has made me into a real mellow fellow. I've got to cover up my red eyes, so I'll pop on these new shades. You like the color of the lenses? Rose carmethine. I think I'll gather up Jennifer Juniper and head to the crash pad. I'm going to have her on me like a new shirt. It'll be heaven, Jennifer, and I'll Wear Your Love Like Heaven.



Woops. That's enough of that stuff for awhile. I keep smoking that wacky tabaccy and I'll have the munchies. So I'll just catch a ride on the Wayback Machine, back to 2010, where I can put my Donovan albums away, ready to listen to them again when I need some really mellow vibes. Or when I need to close my eyes and instead of San Francisco I can go way, way back in the Wayback and visit Atlantis.

No comments: