Sunday, October 08, 2006

Nothin' In The World Like A Big-Eyed Girl...


It's good to be Grandpa. A couple of years ago I wouldn't have said that, but now I think that way. It helps that I have a pair of good granddaughters to make me feel that being Grandpa is good.


Friday night and
Saturday morning Sally and I took care of both Bella, our 21-month-old, and Gabby, our 3-month-old. I quickly found out that I had forgotten a lot about how much work babies are. I mean, a lot, but for all of the work I enjoyed the visit. Why shouldn't I enjoy it? I let Sally do most of the work while I watched.

Saturday afternoon when our son came to pick up his girls we invited the girl next door and her baby for a visit. Elizabeth and David had played together as children. Her daughter, Alexana, was born almost exactly one hour after Gabby, on June 30. So we had a chance to introduce the two.

What I have noticed about Gabby is that she is a wide-eyed child. Everything is a wonder to her and her eyes go large when she's delighted or looking at something she likes. I'm guessing she'll be this way for the rest of her life. Bella is a lot more reserved; even though she's a happy child, she just doesn't smile a lot. On the other hand, Gabby smiles all the time. It'll be fascinating watching these two grow up, how they interact with each other, and with the world at large.

In the meantime, they are little so short a time, so I'm keeping my digital camera busy. In the top shot Gabby is reacting to Sally, and in the bottom Bella is checking out Alexana while Gabby wonders why that light is going off in her face. Hey, they'll thank me for these pictures when they're older. Yes, it's good to be Grandpa. Click on the pictures for larger images.

Ciao for now, El Postino

No comments: