Tuesday, December 25, 2007

MERRY CHRISTMAS 2007

Right before Christmas, circa 1969, a boy showed up at our doorstep. He said, "My mother and I carve these little Santas out of soap to sell and earn some money." They were a dollar apiece. For some reason his story touched me, and I bought one. It's one of the very few things we haul out every year that we have had for our whole married life.

It's crude, and it can't get wet…I wouldn't advise trying to use it in the bathtub…but it's one of those things I've treasured for a long time. It's survived when most other things I've bought for Christmas haven't. I take it out every year and wonder what happened to that little boy and his mom.

Anyway, I hope all of you got what you wanted on Christmas morning. I hope things turned out well for him, too.

No comments: