Thursday, August 27, 2009

"Honey, wake up."

I heard the words, "Honey, wake up."

I jolted awake, sat up. I was on the couch, and according to the cable TV box, it was 2:30 a.m.

I listened, but didn't hear anything. I thought I'd been dreaming. It was one of my better nights, which means no insomnia. I went back to sleep. The next morning I told Sally about my dream of her telling me to wake up. She told me a story:

That night she had been lying awake and thinking. That's deadly if you want to sleep. I know all about it. Anyway, she reached for a little recorder she has by her bed. When a button is pressed you get thirty seconds to say what you need to. She said, and I'm transcribing because I just listened to it, "Jon," "Rockapella," "girls," and "Glen Campbell."

Jon is her hairdresser, so she probably needed to make or change an appointment. "Rockapella" is a group that sings without instruments, a capella, rock songs, hence the name. Maybe looking for a CD, or a ticket to a concert? "Girls" means our granddaughters, so most likely she needed to send them something. She said "Glen Campbell" because the evening before we went to bed we'd watched a YouTube video of Glen singing the Paul McCartney song, "Mull of Kintyre." Sally may have been thinking of getting a Glen Campbell CD with that song.

So did I hear Sally talking into her recorder? Her voice in the recording is very low, and sounds sleepy, foggy. Would I have heard her in the living room, and translated it into, "Honey, wake up"? I don't know. Maybe if she'd yelled "Fire!" at the top of her lungs I wouldn't have woken.

-

No comments: