Friday, December 21, 2012

Ed Emshwiller’s four-armed Santa


Ed “Emsh” Emshwiller (1925-1990), was an artist and filmmaker. His dozens of covers of science fiction magazines during the Fifties and Sixties helped him establish his name and reputation. He went on from them to great acclaim with his pioneering work in film, video and computer graphics. You can read more about him here.

Some of my favorite covers by Emsh are the whimsical Christmas/Santa-themed covers he did for Galaxy Science Fiction. His Santa was put into a science fiction setting, and was a traditional image of S. Claus with the addition of two extra arms. I'd think a couple of extra arms would come in handy for Santa. These are mostly covers I found on the Internet. I cleaned up the scans. The covers from 1951 and 1953 are from my personal collection.








2 comments:

Kirk said...

Those are great. Love that era when magazine covers were more likely to be illustrated than photographed.

Postino said...

Kirk, I agree. I'm much more attracted to an illustrated cover, especially pulps, science fiction digest and paperback books.