Saturday, October 20, 2007

Hate Your Boss Day

If actor Rondo Hatton wasn't dead, I'd pick him to play my boss in the movie version of my life.

This past Wednesday it was (urp, gag) Bosses Day. To my mind Bosses Day is the most stupid observance ever created! What sick suck-up mind conceived of it I don't know, but I covered it in this past posting here.

If you'll read that, you'll see there's not much I like about Bosses Day, or bosses in general.

To his credit, when the secretary jumped in at the end of a staff meeting and said, "Today is Bosses Day," and handed my boss a present, he said, "Isn't every day Bosses Day?" meaning, I think, what I mean when I say it: the boss has the power of life and death over you, and shouldn't be singled out on one day for some sort of observance. No, I say, make every day of the week Hate Your Boss Day!

I have worked for my boss for almost 20 years now, so my reaction to the secretary's sycophantic act was to turn my head and stick my finger in my mouth in the universal gagging mime. I don't know whether the boss saw it, but what if he did? I'm way past trying to please him because it just isn't possible. The secretary can get along with him because he has an entirely different way of treating women. He treats them with deference and respect. Not so the guys I work with, who get the Abu Ghraib treatment for every infraction. That includes me, but my job takes me away from him, and I might only see the boss once every week or so. That's enough.

No comments: